Blog by www.nia.nih.gov
You may need to make some changes in your food and beverage choices to achieve a healthy eating pattern. It’s easier than you think!
A healthy eating pattern is not a rigid prescription. Rather, it is a framework that lets you enjoy food that meets your personal preferences and fits your budget. To encourage healthy eating patterns, the Dietary Guidelines suggests that you:
- Follow a healthy eating pattern across the lifespan.
- Focus on variety, nutrient density and amount.
- Limit calories from added sugars and saturated fats and reduce sodium intake.
- Shift to healthier food and beverage choices. See chart below for ideas!
- Support healthy eating patterns for all.
Healthy Food Shifts
You can move toward a healthier eating pattern by making shifts in food choices over time. Here are some ideas: